Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Blue Zones by Dan Buettner

The Blue Zones
Dan Buettner

When I was sick last weekend I picked up some books at the library. The Blue Zones was one of them. This is a fantastic book and was really hard to put down but each evening I'd read about a different "blue zone".

What are blue zones? Dan Buettner identifies through his research four specific areas in our world where they have the highest percentage of centurions. He then goes with his team to each area to meet directly with these centurions and identify what type of lifestyle they live and see if there are any commonalities between the cultures.

You may be curious, what are the four blue zones?

- Sardinian
- Okinawa
- An American blue zone... yes... even in America!, Loma Linda, California
-Nicoya Costa Rica

What are some of the characteristics of people who live to be 100 and beyond? It's a combination of diet, exercise, community, and family.

What is really interesting after reading the book is to take the vitality compass test. From some basic questions that you answer regarding your lifestyle, the calculator will tell you your calendar age, biological age, and life time expectancy. Then they'll tell you what you can do to increase your life expectancy! A very interesting exercise.

If you are interested in improving your quality of life then this book is a must read!

The sad news is that our society is moving heavily towards a sedentary lifestyle and we are relying on too many fast food restaurants for connivance. It would be interesting in forty years to see where our next blue zones are located. However, you can create your own blue zone and that is very encouraging!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deborah! I just got in your other book, Rowing the Atlantic. I think I read the Blue Zone a while ago, I found it very interesting. Is this book older, I think so. I love your book reviews. I'm going to start the book I just received this weekend! Thanks

    ReplyDelete