Sunday, July 19, 2009

We all need a Tree- Author Unknown



We all need a tree.



I once hired a plumber to help me restore an old farmhouse. After he had just finished a rough first day on the job, a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric drill quit and his ancient one ton truck refused to start.



While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence. Upon arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands.



When opening the door he underwent an amazing transformation.. His face was wreathed in smiles as he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.Afterwards he walked me to the car.



We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier."Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children.. So I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them. Then in the morning I pick them up again."



"Funny thing is," he smiled," when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."



I saw this poem this morning and thought about my recent projects own my home. How ironic that I pulled out trees with very invasive roots that were causing plumbing problems to our home. I did that so that our home could find less stress and more peace. In fact all the while we ripped out the trees I was sad but knew it was the right thing to do.


Our homes should be a place of peace. When we all come home from work we should be able to leave our troubles outside the door. Sometimes that's easier said than done! Maybe there is room in my yard for a new , smaller tree, a tree I can call my "trouble tree". Stay tuned... you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment